Monday, July 2, 2012

Garden Party

We had a small gathering at our home this weekend to show whoever was interested around the garden. Enthusiastic friends I have met since moving to Virginia came to meet our plant and animal allies, eat good food, and have good talks. Drew and I had a blast getting to better know these folks. I love spending all day making food and prettying the house! I'm such a girl.

Flowers to look at (echinacea, lavender, mint, rose, yarrow) and flowers to eat (nasturtiums).

My geeky labeled spread-- We made flax crackers, sunflower pate with garlic flowers, creamy garden collard salad, organic potato salad with local grass-fed yogurt and our own Silkie eggs, fresh farmer's market peaches, raw grass-fed farmers cheese, and just-picked wild blackberries. Our guests thoughtfully brought hard cider, local wine, and homemade banana bread. For imbibing we provided sweet iced mint-tulsi tea, cold wild spring water, home-brewed kombucha, organic wines, and locally brewed beer. For dessert I made a chocolate spread, of course, with two old stand-by's (Black Flower and Forest Cove) as well as a new flavor I've finally gotten down (top secret until it's official!). I was so nervous about it all, but everything was a huge hit! Can you tell I get excited about local food...

Drew took everyone on a tour of the grounds, stopping off at the chicken run for some freshly picked mulberries and a chance to meet Guthrie, king of Silkie roosters!

 photo by Teresa

 We missed the folks who couldn't come, some of which were still sans electricity and cleaning up fallen trees from the storm the night before. Pretty crazy happenings in nature lately. We can't wait to have another shindig! But I think we'll have to wait till the weather cools down a bit (it reached 100 F the other day). Now I'm off to listen to a Netflix movie and beading...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wish we could have been there! But so glad you had a fun time... and I know the food was magical, considering the cooks.

    ReplyDelete