Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving in the ATL

It has been tradition for my family to meet in Atlanta for Thanksgiving for years now. My mom's brother and his family live in the suburb-turned-town of Sandy Springs. So this was the second year in a row that I drove the ten hours down to Georgia to spend a few days with the fam. My husband Drew stayed at the homestead, spreading the last layers of straw mulch and teaching our chickens to use their new ramp to sleep in their new CABIN! He wasn't alone for Thanksgiving, though; he joined his mom and other family members here in Virginia for a nice, quiet meal. Mine? Not so quiet, but that's what's so great when ten family members are sleeping under one roof...

Uncle Rick likes his banana raisins. It looks like they're almost ready.

The queens of the big day, my mom and Aunt Sara. They were marathon casserolatiers.

This year marked my sister Isadora making her first gravy.

'Nuf said.

Group shot.

Another tradition: Puzzlin', the official post-Thanksgiving sport at the Cherry household.

I was able to visit my friend Jocelyn from college while in town. She recently started playing the ukulele, and performed for her sisiter and myself. We were both sniffling, in tears, after her rendition of Famous Blue Raincoat.

On the last night in Atlanta, Uncle Rick dusted off some home films from the Cherrys' childhood. My dad set up his Flip Video on a tripod and recorded the silent films for the sake of living in the digital age. The old machine smelled wonderfully of an old library, and it was amazing seeing how much this younger generation takes after the elder...

My late grandmother, Jeanette, showing off the family car.

My mom in a high chair, being taunted by her brother, Rick. Things haven't changed a bit.

The running joke the entire time was rooted in how annoyed my uncle gets when anyone leaves a water glass unattended. Throughout the day, one by one, my mom put every glass from the cupboard in random places around the house. This one is in the pantry. Another awaits Rick on his bathroom counter. And another he won't find until the next time he drives his car.
I love my family.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm about to weep. I miss everyone already! Since we all love Thanksgiving so much, I propose we do it twice a year. Once in the summer, once in November, like the rest of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with DD. Or we could just have year-round Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete