Sunday, December 12, 2010

Donna lets Nature be her muse.


Donna la Pré had her annual Open Studio in Little Washington this weekend. She showcased her magical handmade creations in a lovely, lofty garage-turned-studio space. I brought my mother-in-law Ann to out to visit.


Each figure has its own personality. Donna incorporates vintage materials, wool felting, sewing, embroidery, embellishment, and painting in almost every piece. Each character has a different facial expression: some look content, some wistful, and a few disconcerted. I asked how she gets such tiny detail on the faces. She said, "I wait until the piece is otherwise completely finished. Then I trace the main features with a very fine pen, and go over it with a very, very fine paintbrush for the details." She said her heart races with nervousness at this step, since she's come so far.






These little ones are Elf babies. Each one is unique, grasping a piece of the Garden as their plant starts its new journey into growth.







Donna also had handmade cards for sale. Each one featured a different holiday-themed collage. I thought she did a great job with all her displays, transforming a workspace to invoke an ethereal, otherworldly time and place.


This little guy was my personal favorite. How much do you love his tiny beard and tiny sweater?

No comments:

Post a Comment